Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Call the cops

Posted by Mikew on December 23, 1997 at 15:58:25:

In Reply to: Prostitution posted by Diane on December 18, 1997 at 16:27:01:

: I could use some help with our problem. I live in a building where there are over 10 active prostitutes doing business in the building. The door to one of the prostitutes' apartments is less than 3 feet directly across from mine. 'Johns' have knocked on my door more than once. Since I have been here for less than 6 months there have been 2 robberies by 'John's. I am frightened for my safety as this criminal element has free access to the building.

: What are my options and how should I go about this?

: Many thanks

First and foremost get the police involved. Call them, and keep calling them if nothing changes. Also, have all the neighbors you can call also. In these situations, the squeaky wheel gets greased. If you make enough noise, the cops will do something. Then they'll be police records with which to go after the landlord. I may also help to call you city council member, and maybe some of the minor players like community board people. When it comes to the cops, they can squeak louder than you can.

If you can rally enough neighbors that you feel safe doing it, you could also take direct action. Sit in the lobby an grill anyone going to the suspect apartments. Bring a camera and take pictures. The Johns would LOVE that.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name