Posted by Matt on December 16, 1997 at 00:19:13:
In Reply to: Asbestos posted by John on December 16, 1997 at 00:15:41:
: Lead can be dangerous in drinking water and if eaten by children. Asbestos is a different story. A friend's father was the head attorney for the plaintiffs in the largest asbestos class-action suit of the 70's. Another friend makes good money doing asbestos abatement in schools. The fact on asbestos is that it is an inert, fiberous mineral which has caused a condition called asbestosis in people who breathed high concentrations of asbestos fibers in the air over long periods of time. Most of these people worked in plants where products such as insulation, brake pads and clutches were made from asbestos. A few of them worked installing asbestos insulation on pipes etc. There is no evidence that anyone has ever developed asbestosis who has not worked with asbestos for aliving. The quantities of asbestos which anyone living in an apartment with asbestos insulated pipes would breath simply cannot be hazerdous to your health. To say that it could be would be analagou to saying that because coal miners have developed black lung disease, therefore it is hazerdous to have a coal fired furnace in one's basement. Yes, people who worked in the asbestos industry who have developed asbestosis deserve compensation. The irony of the situation, according to my friend in the abatement business, is that by removing the insulation, they are exposing people to more asbestos than they would have been exposed to if the insulation had been left inplace. However, if you can get a discount on your rent because of the presence of asbestos insulation, more power to ya.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup