Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Leaving before lease termination

Posted by James S. on December 02, 1997 at 15:49:34:

In the interest of time, I will try to be brief. I moved into a rent-stabilized studio on Nov. 1. The studio is great- an excellent building ideally located on the Upper East Side at a reasonable rent. Unfortunately I did pay the typical broker's fee to get the apartment.
On Nov. 25, I was offered and accepted new employment in CT (too far to commute daily) and my new employer unwilling to pay the fees associated with leaving my new studio. Naturally, I would like to exit my apartment sometime in the next 2-3 months, and of course before the lease ends in next Nov. Upon reviewing the lease documents, a rider to lease (prepared by the landlord) states that if the landlord choses to absolve me from my lease commitments, I will be required to pay a fee (for repainting, repairs & other) of $500 plus forfeit my security deposit. As expected, I am reluctant to simply write off these two costs in addition to the broker's fee. Would I be better off attempting to sublet the apartment and/or assigning the lease to a new tenant? Giving the strong rental market and quality of the studio, it shouldn't be a problem finding a new tenant. However, I am not familiar with the procedures involved with subletting or assigning. Is there any advantage to notifying the broker who rented me the apartment that I may sublet, assign, or leave?

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name