Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Advice on lease breaking

Posted by Anon. on December 01, 1997 at 14:06:12:

I spoke with my landlord a couple of weeks ago about breaking my lease January 1 (6 months early). At her request, I faxed her a letter, and mailed the origianl. Since then, I have left her 2 voice-mail messages that I want to make sure that they are planning to have the brokers show the apartment BEFORE I move out (to make sure it's rented in time). And I asked that if that's NOT the case, would I be better off finding someone to assign the lease to (which would be easy in the NYC housing market), to make sure that I didn't get stuck paying any lost rent. She has not returned either of my calls. I need some advice on what to do. I was thinking of faxing her a letter stating what I left in the voice-mails (so that I have something in writing), and informing her that if she doesn't let me know, I will be using my security deposit as December's rent (i haven't mailed this month's check in yet). Does this sound like a reasonable course of action? iF not, what should I do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name