Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Move out extortion/delay in deposit refund

Posted by Melissa on November 29, 1997 at 23:12:34:

We gave written notice of vacating aptmt 20 days prior to move out; today is 14 days past the move-out and walkthrough date.
Today we received a handwritten note from our ex-landlord stating, and I
quote:
"due to the condition you left the apt, I'll have to have a longer time to send you the outcome--will do so as soon as possible.
According to the lease, December is due (rent), if it isn't rented by then--I have an ad in the paper.
14 day notice has to be extended!"
Here is our rebuttal -- will any of this hold up legally?
1) We tenants (2 of us) and landlord have only INITIALLED the original year-lease after first year was up -- can this legally be construed as a month-to month agreement?
2) Our now-ex-next-door neighbor walked through the apt just before the landlord did her walkthrough, and told us how clean it appeared--can we use her as a witness? if so, how?
3) Lastly, is the above extension of the deposit refund notice by the landlord legally binding?
Other possibly pertinent info:
1) landlord is nuts: she has handwritten notes on the walls in the shared laundry room with rules such as "consent must be gotten for overnight guests". She has a highpitched, screechy voice and has thick bright makeup, which will scare off potential tenants in a heartbeat, in addition to her new much higher rent increase (which is in contradiction to the declined condition of the neighborhood, which has a good share of junkies in the playground next door--this info is from the police dept).
2) This aptmt is in a lower middle class residential section of Seattle, WA.
3) Neither of us (married couple) have ever broken a lease and have no criminal records, and the landlord has treated us like criminals ever since we gave notice.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name