Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Plumbing Problems

Posted by Norm Rancour on November 25, 1997 at 20:08:57:

Can anyone tell me; IN CALIFORNIA; isn't the ladlord responsible for plumbing problems in a rental apartment? My rental agreement states nothing about the tenant being responsible for these things...

I have ladlords who are in reality slum lords. I have lived here 7 years and in the past 3 years they took on a silent partner and told us to send the rent to an address 300 miles away but never to send anything but the rent. Since then, the landlords have stopped doing ANY maintenance on the units, in fact the back fence is nearly toppled over from rot not to mention the condition of these very old apartments themselves, it's ridiculous!

My immediate problem is plugged pipes in the bathroom and kitchen. The same thing happened a month ago, the ladords sent a plumber out, he inspected the pipes, fixed the problem and even wrote on the bill, the problem was due to old pipes and natural wear. However, the landords sent me the bill and demanded I pay it, I refused. Now, the pipes are clogged again and they absolutely refuse to pay for it's repair. I have snaked the pipes inside the wall, poured 2 gallons of Liquid Plumber down the drain over the past 2 days AND 1/2 a container of Draino Crystals BUT the blockage remains.

Is this a health department issue? Am I really liable when all I've put down my drains is WATER? What can I do to have this problem rectified? HELP!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name