Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Dog problem

Posted by Joel Passanisi on November 25, 1997 at 11:40:15:

In Reply to: Dog problem posted by Amy G on November 19, 1997 at 15:39:05:

: I recently moved into a coop (i'm renting) in Queens. Although my lease says 'no pets', I was very clear about the fact that i had a dog, and the landlords said they had no problem with this (verbally). I did not anticipate the fact that my dog would (presumably) cry during the day while I am at work due to the fact that he is unaccustomed to the new place. one of the neighbors complained and I promptly received a notice that the dog was making noise, and could I resolve the problem. At the advice of my super, I responded by stating that I acknowledged the notice, and that I was doing all I could to resolve the problem, and that I was sure it was just temporary, to which the landlord replied that by my writing the letter I was "admitting" there was a problem, that the rest of my letter was irrelevant - and if there was another complaint I would be forced to remove the dog or get out of the apt - I'm sure the super's suggestion that I write a letter was a ploy to get me to put something in writing. Personally I have never come home to find my dog making any noise at all - I have even come home in the middle of the day to "surprise" him and still he was quiet. I cannot part with my dog. Additionally, I found a New york Post article on the internet about my landlord who is notorious for kicking people out of his rented coops so he can sell them as condos. The realtor told my my apt. had been for sale, but the deal fell through and that was why it was for rent when I looked at it. Anyway - what are my rights based on these facts. If I do not get rid of the dog, can the landlord evict me? And if so, how much time will that take to process? What can I expect/what should I do regarding the outcome of this situation? Is there any way to receive free legal advice regarding tentant/landlord problems?

this is the only place I know for free advice, and sometimes you get what you pay for.
it may not have been a good idea to acknowledge there was a problem. however, the landlord has admitted that you have a dog, and i think that you have a right to keep the dog if the landlord knows it, if he has taken no action over a specific period of time.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name