Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Back rent

Posted by ad on November 20, 1997 at 00:52:40:

I owe my landlady back rent and have sent her a letter stating that I wanted to arrange to pay it off a little at a time. She told me she preferred to make an agreement where she would "loan'' me the amount and have me pay 12% interest on the "loan". This would clear the back rent but I;m not sure if it'sthe right thing to do. On my current check I indicated that it was payment for the month of November, but she said her lawyer told her that accepting it gave the appearance that no back rent was owed. She said she would have to apply my current payment to the back rent unless I made the loan agreement. She said my agreement was not satisfactory even though I put it in writing. I know the back rent is my on doing, but is was she's telling me true?

Also, often she has wriiten on my checks, in the memo area, or crossed out whatever I had wriiten. Is that legal?

I live in a rent controlled apartment and I really just want to resolve the issue. I've been to a financial counselor and I'm now on a strict budget and it makes allowances for this debt.

Your helpp is greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name