Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Noise

Posted by TenantNet on November 18, 1997 at 10:36:16:

In Reply to: Noise posted by Rhadames Lassis on November 18, 1997 at 07:38:44:

: My landlord came to my apartment yesterday for the 100th time complaining that we walk to hard or that when we pull out our dining room chairs to eat it sounds as though we are dragging an elephant or that we are dropping things constantly and disturbing him. He wants us to put area rugs down to muffle the noise. However, he wants us to pay for this. I refuse to lay these carpets down because:
: (1) They are costly and I do not have the money for this
: (2) It is disgusting to have a carpet under a dining room table for fear that food or drinks might spill and look dirty.
: (3) Since it is for his comfort, I feel that he should pay for this

: Do you think I am liable to pay for this? If I do go out and buy these rugs, can I take it out of next month's rent? Should I put this in writing to advise her that I will be doing this, even though I have suggested this in the passed and she has refused to take on the cost. But continues to insist that I get these rugs down.
: He is also complaining about my P.C. computer. He said that it causes his t.v. picture to have verticle snow lines. Not only does my computer cause this, but my appliances also causes these lines. I suggested that they get an outside antenna to help with this interference. But I know he wants me to stop using my P.C. and appliances. Can he do this to me? I do not use my P.C. at odd hours, I am asleep by 11 pm the latest. Please help me.

You are off base on the noise issue. Be quiet or buy rugs. It's your responsibility.
The owner is off base on the PC -- unless it's a really old (pre-1985) PC, chances are
it most likely qualifies for a FCC Class B which means it's shielded and will not cause
such things on his TV. As for appliances, it's normal, especially in old
buildings, for things with motors (i.e., vacuum cleaners) to cause some
interference. You can't be expected to not use normal appliances.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name