Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: The old folks home

Posted by meghan on November 17, 1997 at 13:21:19:

In Reply to: Re: The old folks home posted by Meghan on November 17, 1997 at 13:18:44:

: : :
: : : : Hi,

: : : : Thanks so much for the speedy reply..but a few more questions:
: : : : 1)You suggested that I be careful because this could be a "case of non-primary residences"..
: : : : what does that mean? And what should I be careful about?
: : : : 2)How do you, or can you, establish non-traditional family status? In this instance, Pauline has one son (from whom she is
: : : : estranged) & a granddaughter that she never sees. I, along with a neighbor, are really her family.
: : : : 3)You mentioned not jeopardizing Pauline's status..what do you mean? Maybe I wasn't clear -- she is in the home for good & I pay
: : : : the entire rent. Basically, I give the $$ to the neighbor (who has always handled Pauline's finances) & she writes a check from Pauline.

: : : : Thanks again,
: : : : meghan

: : : I agree with Tenantnet that you havent a prayer of getting the lease continued in your name, as you are not a relative and the rules on nontraditional families are strict (intermingled finances and so on).
: : : However, I think (someone should correct if if Im wrong) the situation is that Pauline remains the tenant even though she is in the nursing home. And as the "tenant," with the apartment --not the nursing home-- her primary residence, you can be her "roommate."
: : : Look at it this way--what if she gets better and returns from the nursing home? She has to have someplace to live. They cant just evict her as long as she's paying the rent, with the help of her "roommate.".
: : : Best bet is to be low-key, try not to let the landlord know that Pauline is in the nursing home if he or she doesnt know just yet.

: : Thanks for offering that perspective. To answer Meghan's question, all RC and
: : RS tenants are required to live in the unit to get the benefit of the protections.
: : It must be your primary residence. Yes, you're allowed to have vacation cottages
: : and things like that, but you can't have a real residence elsewhere and just
: : use the NYC RS/RC apartment as a pied a terre. Primary residence is proven
: : with a host of evidence, but it boils down to where does one spend the bulk
: : of their time.

: : If the owner feels this is not the tenant's primary residence, he can
: : refuse to renew the lease on that ground.

: : Direct family members (subject to some limitations) have rights of
: : succession. Non-traditional familiy members can also get succession
: : rights, but to do so is difficult. Most of the cases I know involve
: : gay/lesbian relationships. From what you say, even though you may
: : feel close to Pauline, you're still a friend, not a non-traditional
: : family member.

: : I have heard of a case where a tenant in a nursing home was deemed
: : to not haven given up the primary resident status of the RC unit,
: : even though there was no prayer he would return. But to claim a
: : roommate on top of that (unless you were a long-term roommate before
: : she went to a nursing home) might be seen as a disguised sublet.

: : That's why, all-in-all, it's good to keep it all quiet for as
: : long s you can.

Thanks to all for the insightful, albeit depressing, info. :) I guess my only hope at then end of the lease would be that, at that point, I will have lived in the apartment for over 3 years. Wish me luck. Thanks again.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name