Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

New job=loss of deposit

Posted by CG on November 15, 1997 at 21:17:53:

I recently accepted a new job and had to relocate. In doing so, the landlord has withheld my security deposit. However, when I first learned that I would be moving I contacted him and verbally warned him that will be vacating his property once I find another place near my job. That evening he placed a for sale sign in the front yard. Having kept the place immaculate for three open houses while I searched for a new residence, the landlord told me that he has decided not to sell, but has found new tenants and I needed to get out by the end of the month (this conversation occurring on the 12th day of the month). I mentioned that I could not possibly get out by then, but we agreed, mutually, to end the lease thirty days from that day. Well, as luck would have it, I was able to find a place and vacated the premises on the first day of the month, much to the delight of the landlord. However, now he tells me that I broke the lease and will not be returning any of my security deposit. Does he have any right to rent the premises on which I am living before I give a thirty days written notice? If so, does he have any right to keep my security deposit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name