Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Rodents

Posted by Matina on November 07, 1997 at 11:19:08:

I recently moved into an apartment building which was just renovated and is rent stabilized, but the rents are definitely market rates - especially for the neighborhood. The building next door is old and abandoned. It isn't even really a building, it is a shell, a foundation and a large hole filled with junk.

In our building we have laundry facilities in the basement and garbage/recycling facilities in the basement as well. You can only imagine what is coming....RATS!!! All the time - day, night, lights on, lights off. It is awful. I've called and commplained three times to the management and each time they have sent out an exterminator. However, the next time I go down there, there are still rats. Additionally, we have received a nasty letter about recycling compliance and a threat of fines.

I don't know what to do next. These are common areas which need to be maintained. I refuse to do my laundry in the building any longer.

Considering the state of landlords in this city - is there anything else I can do or expect? Will the rats ever come upstairs? At what point might I be able to break my lease over this issue (I really don't want to - I like my apartment.)?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name