Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: tipping supers -- does it make any difference?

Posted by Joe Dumela on October 25, 1997 at 08:12:00:

In Reply to: tipping supers -- does it make any difference? posted by Stu Cohen on October 24, 1997 at 12:51:26:

: We're getting a new super next month. The last one was lousy -- actually the last two were lousy -- and I hope this one is better. To get off on the right foot with this guy, I was thinking about tipping, which frankly didn't have any effect on the previous supers. I'd tip them, and it would still take two weeks and repeated calls to get things fixed.

: I'd appreciate some suggestions as to the experience people out there have had with tipping -- are tips expected, and if so, how much. The fact that tipping had no effect on the last two supers leads me to think that maybe supers are too dumb to realize that ignoring tenants means no tip.

Funny how certain things in the building appear to get fixed in early December. Funny how response time improves around the same time.

My policy is that tips are EARNED. Do not tip before things are done -- do it after and ONLY IF the work goes beyond their normal duties. Supers get paid to do a job, and as we all know, many don't even do that. Tipping for mediocre work sets a standard that gets you locked in, and don't think that if you tip, things will get better. I tip only when the work goes beyond what is expected.

It can also have an effect on other tenants -- if you tip, then the greedy super might be more willing to give you basic services and deny it to others who don't tip. This does happen a lot.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name