Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Please help!! --- Learn to Help Yourself

Posted by Mariel on October 07, 1997 at 05:35:05:

In Reply to: Re: Please help!! --- Learn to Help Yourself posted by Mike O'Neill on October 06, 1997 at 12:32:51:

: I didn't meant to offend! The exclamation points in my message weren't meant to be snotty or angry. I didn't mean for my frustration and confusion to come off the wrong way.
: I know you're not lawyers, but you're a whole lot more knowledgeable than I am. And noticing the times you post answers, I'm very aware that you work hard. I'm not being lazy on this one - I've called all the numbers and offices and you get a bunch of recordings and contradictary information.
: I simply thought you might be able to offer some advice which might have helped me out, in addition to others in the future.
: Again, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Have you considered forming a tenants association with the other tenants still in the building? Then you can send letters to the owner as a group and also go into court (and withhold rent) as a group. It might have more impact.
You can, of course, withhold rent since it sounds like there is a breach of the warrant of habitability. Try to have inspectors come to the building, or else wait until you go to court & the court will order an inspection. It would be good to take pictures, send certified letters, and build a case before going into court.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name