Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index


Posted by Skye L. on October 04, 1997 at 21:03:57:

After learning that my landlord illegally incraesed my rent on several occasions, I stopped paying rent.
I live in a rent-stablized room in a residential hotel in nyc.
Several years ago, my rent was increased by 15%!!!

Now: my landlord is suing me for non-payment.
He claims that he has no records for the year during the huge rent hike ("someone broke into his office and stole the records" he says.
Problem: I have no receipts for that year; I disposed of the cancelled rent checks.
I do have a printout from the NY State Div. of Housing and ... which shows the rent history of my, including the illegal rent increases.
Question: can this be considered evidence that I paid the amount indicated on that record.
I am in the process of getting my old bank records.
Thanks in advance for any help ...

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name