Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

punitive damages

Posted by Willi. M. on October 03, 1997 at 16:03:13:

I live in upstate N.Y. After moving out of my previous apartment I have repeatedly requested in writing for the last 7 months for the return of my security deposit, with no response from my former landlord. I gave proper written notice, cleaned apt. etc. I have all the proper documentation pertaining to these issues. I am now going to file in Small Claims court in his juristiction.
My question is : Can I file for a judgement for the return of the security deposit plus punitive damages. Are punitive damages generally available to get in N.Y.? I know sometimes it is in other states where the landlord not forthcoming with retun of sec. deposit for an extented period. But I'm not sure about NY. Thanks in advance!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name