Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Construction-itis

Posted by Mike Chayne on September 29, 1997 at 20:20:05:

Hereís my problem - In January of this year, a new owner bought my building. Heís made no secret letting us know he wants everyone out so he can renovate and up the rents. Since taking ownership of the building, the overall state of the building was gone straight to hell - the lobby and stairs are filthy, garbage outside is unmanageable etc.

In July, 2 tenants moved out and he began construction. Now, I live in a war zone! Heís got workers in 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week making noise and ripping the building apart, including public areas.

During the day, you canít even see in the hallways - the dust is so thick. They only clean up once a week. Today, I was shaken out of bed to the sound of them ripping electrical wiring out of the entire building. I enjoy a fresh sheet of dust throughout my apartment at least twice a week, and this morning, while using the bathroom, I was greeted by falling debris landing on my head!

In two days, Iím supposed to write this landlord a check for rent to live in this sty - is there anything I can do?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name