Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Invasion of Privacy - Trespassing

Posted by Kelley on September 15, 1997 at 16:34:33:

I'm a renter in Massachusetts but I did not know where else to go for help. I just found out this weekend that my landlord has been letting himself into my apartment without notifing us before or after the fact. Can't this be considered an invasion of privacy / or illegal? I've been told that they need to give at least 24 hours notice, but I can not find this in writting anywhere to show him. I've called him to let him know that we figured out he was in our apartment and he does not deny the fact. His response was "well we didn't take anything", nice huh? It has been suggested to me that I send him a registered letter telling him he is not to enter our apartment without 24 hours notice. I've also been told that I can change the locks on the door and I am not legally required to give him a key, is this true?

I'm a good tenant pay rent on time, no complaints from neighbors, etc. This really is the straw that broke the camel's back. I've been having problems with the landlord for the past 2 months while he has been doing construction in the apartment below me. Constantly parking in my parking space, construction 7 days a week from 8am-9pm which was loud enough not only to knock things off my wall but if I was on the telephone the party on the other line could hear it.

I NEED HELP. I feel totally violated, and know for a fact that he was in both the bedrooms in the apartment. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name