Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

vacating before lease termination

Posted by Joan Friedman on September 11, 1997 at 11:02:12:

Strange problem to have in this market, the end of July I gave notice to my landlord that I would be vacating in mid-September. My lease doesn't expire till Feb. 1. I understand that I am still liable for the rent, but isn't there a requirement in NY that the landlord make a good faith effort to rerent? The landlord said they would show the apartment and I have been completely available, but nothing has happened in all this time except for two or three people coming to look. What the landlord has done is to raise the rent 25% (this is non stabilized) to a rent that is clearly above market for the building. They have not advertised it, but have placed it on their vacancy list (they manage 40 buildings in the city). Clearly what is happening is that they are hoping to find someone to pay the new rent but are willing to wait until my lease runs out. If they don't find someone by then, they will likely drop the rent. Thus, I am being screwed. What do you advise? Should I try to sublet?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name