Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

J51 Tax abatement

Posted by John on August 20, 1997 at 16:15:25:

I have been leasing a rent-stabilized apt for over 10 years on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. My landlord has recently told me that the J51 tax abatement on the bldg has expired and that when my lease expires in 2 months he will increase my rent by 80%! He also told me that there was only one other rent stabilized apt in my bldg (total of 16 units), but that since they were "original tenants" when the bldg was renovated (in 1978) their lease will be renewed at a rent stabilized rent. I am the second tenant in my unit, and MY lease has always included an additional clause stating that the unit was rent stabilized only because of the J51 tax abatement which was to expire on or about June of 1996. (a) Why does the other sole remaining stabilized apt in the same bldg have different "rent stabilization" criteria - keeping it stabilized? And (b) Do I have ANY recourse? It seems incredibly infair (and certainly against the intent of the recent "renewal" of the Rent laws) to jack up by EIGHTY percent (effectively throwing me out) the rent of someone who's lived in the same apt for over ten years. Thanks for your help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name