Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Security Deposit

Posted by Jeter on August 02, 1997 at 06:16:53:

I moved out of my Apt in April of 97. I have tried to contacted my former landlord by letter and phone to see why he hasn't returned my deposit. He would not return my calls nor answer my letters. I finally sent a certified letter to him in June informing him that if he didn't return my deposit i was going to take legal action. He finally replied, stating that I had not given him a 30 days notice. He claims becasue of this he was keeping my deposit for the June rent.

There was a mix up in the mail and he received the letter on the 15th of April. In that letter there was a note stating that I was moving out, I also put on the check 30 day notice. We had been in contact by phone in April in which he stated that if I was going to stay the rent was going to go up 50.00 a month. I then told him I was going to move out.

My question is what can I do to retrieve my deposit? Does he have a certain time to inform me that he was using my deposit as June's rent and what legal remedies can I sue for? I live in Washington D.C.

I thank you for any help you can give me..

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name