Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Need legal advice on garbage pick-up responsibilities

Posted by Susan on July 25, 1997 at 10:39:13:

In Reply to: Re: Need legal advice on garbage pick-up responsibilities posted by Mariel on July 25, 1997 at 08:42:04:

: : Trash Night is no fun in my home. The homeless people in the area rip apart your garbage looking for food. There is nothing we can do to stop them. If the garbage bags are ripped the sanitation department will not pick them up. We have no place provided in our building for our garbage so if it doesn't get collected it must come back into the apartment. I refuse to keep week old garbage in my home...especially during the hot summer months. If the garbage is left on the street - you will get a fine. The sanitation department has said "if the tenant properly places the garbage on the street it is no longer the tenants responsibilty. The fine would then go to the landlord." I am positive my landlord would not take responsibiltiy for this - especially if the trash can be identified as one of the tenants. The fines are high - $50, $100, and $250. Please Help - I cannot get a straight answer from any office in this city and I have to pay my fine!!!
: Can you put the garbage at the curb in cans instead of bags? Is there a basement?
Well the problem is where to put the cans - there is no place in front or in the back. The only option would be ...in the basement however, someone would have to be responsible for bringing in and taking out the can 2x's a week. They would have to be carried up steps and then down steps - our landlord will have nothing to do with this plus - he has told us three times that no one is allowed to store anything in the basement.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name