Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord Witholding Deposit after waivers in Walk-through

Posted by Lillian Karuri on July 23, 1997 at 11:45:05:

2 months prior to the end of my lease I notified my landlord of my intention to not renew my lease. 1 week before vacating the apartment, the landlord and his agent requested for a scheduled walk-through of the apartment to "help him plan for the new tenant." At that walk-through, we identified and agreed to some minor repairs
for which I was responsible, and listed those for which the Landlord was responsible. We then scheduled a final walkthrough, to be the day before the legal end of my lease, and agreed that if all went satisfactorily, they would refund the 1 day remaining on my lease since I had already vacated the apartment.
At the final walk-through, the agent inspected the apartment and did not express any major concerns. Hovewer, 3 weeks later, the landlord sent me a check for only $99 of my $600 deposit, and along with, a
lengthy list of maintenance and repairs that he claims to have made on the apartment. Question:
1. Does the Landlord's request for 2 walk-throughs, with no findings waive his right to later asess fines for alleged damages, AFTER his agent took all the keys to the apartment?
2. Is the tenant ever responsible for paying 100% of the general maintenance of the property that were not identified in the lease, or in the walk-through?
3. Is there legal recourse?
4. Should I cash the check for $99 prior to confirming whether I will seek mediation or legal recourse?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name