Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Boycotting State Goods

Posted by Neile on May 08, 1997 at 00:28:43:

In Reply to: Boycotting State Goods posted by Neile on May 08, 1997 at 00:25:26:

Letter to the Editor - Albany Times-Union

No Rent Laws, No Cheddar!
As an apartment dweller, I dread June 15, the scheduled expiration
of the state's tenant protection laws. Besides increasing the
numbers of homeless and devastating city neighborhoods, the loss of tenant rights will likely cost me my residence of 20 years.

More than fear, I am furious that those responsible are not
accountable to those affected. Upstate legislators, without tenant
constituencies, have sold their vote to real estate PACs seeking an end to tenant protections.

I therefore direct my response toward upstate farmers, a
constituency to whom these legislators are accountable: If the
tenant protection laws are allowed to expire on June 15, I will buy my dairy and produce elsewhere. Many of my fellow tenants are
preparing to do the same. A boycott resolution is pending before 57 community boards representing over 2 million New York City tenants.

Growing up, I was taught to patronize local business. Before he
died, my father operated a fish store by Yankee Stadium. Yesterday, I passed up a package of cheddar for $2.39 to buy a similar item at $3.03 because it had the "New York State'' logo.

But, if this type of loyalty is to endure, it must be reciprocated. Should a business conduct its affairs in a manner detrimental to community -- or permit those in its employ to do so -- then that community can't be faulted for shopping elsewhere.

On May 20, tenants will meet in Albany to be heard on this. Don't be surprised if what you hear is "No Rent Laws, No Cheddar."

Other Coverage: NY Post, LI Newsday, Channel 11, NY1, East/Westsider, Troy Record, Watertown Daily Times

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name