Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Apartment falling apart - no one will fix it. . .

Posted by my bathroom was a biosphere! on July 16, 1997 at 15:34:00:

In Reply to: Re: Apartment falling apart - no one will fix it. . . posted by Mariel on June 25, 1997 at 18:56:40:

This sounds exactly like a situation that I was in that lasted for two mold-infested years...the whole"calling and stalling" scenario described earlier has an all-too-familiar ring. It's frustrating. My particular shower experience was made particularly terrible because the shower area itself was encased with wood (!) rather than porcelain or plastic. Each time I went in to take a shower, I was greeted by a horrible murky smell and the sight of black goo oozing throughout the bathtub area. In an attempt to cheaply "face-lift" the problem. the landlord would come in with a bucket of paint and slap a few coats over the mess...as the floor became more and more spongy with mold, nothing was ever done. I finally resorted to calling in a professional plumber that graciously agreed to come in and look at/laugh at the tub. Being the kindhearted person that he was, he called the landlord himself and told her that the entire bathroom was in danger of falling in, and if she didn't replace the tub and get rid of the wood she'd be paying a fortune in the near future. That was the only thing that set her in motion: the advice of a professional. It's sad that a lot of landlords don't take tenant complaints seriously enough to act on in the first place. I definitely agree that greed pays a major part in the whole problem; I'm writing this from Chapel Hill, NC, where rents are being raised at an unbelievable rate due to the large affluent student population. There's such a profound housing shortage here that less-than-reputable landlords often take advantage of the fact that there are so many students who can and do pay incredible amounts of money just to get off campus. Good luck with your bathroom dilemma; you owe the building owner nothing!!!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name