Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

House sold to new owners; lawyer informs us 5 days before closing

Posted by MaryDJ on June 03, 1997 at 22:43:30:

Need help quick re my rights as a tenant. Our landlady for seven years passed away last year with no heir and her lawyer was handling the sale of the house (2-family building in New York). We were informed time and again by her lawyer and the real estate broker that the buyers agreed we could stay. We have an oral agreement with our former landlady that the rent we were paying her included a garage space for our car and use of her basement to store our things. Her lawyer informs us on May 27 that they were closing the sale on June 3 (a few days before closing). The new owners come over and demand that we move our things out of the basement and that we vacate the garage as well. Where am I to put our things and park my car? The lawyer never mentioned to us that in his contract with the new owners, he had agreed that the basement and the garage would be emptied out! I paid my June rent on June 1st with no knowledge whatsoever of any new provisions re our rent. As far as I am concerned, whatever agreement we had with my previous landlady still stood. If I had known a few months earlier that the new owners would not give me space in the basement as well as use of the garage, I would have started looking months earlier for a new apartment. As of May 27, we have informed all parties that we would be looking for a new place to stay. Can they demand all these things in the meantime? Do I have the legal right to call the cops if they attempt to move my things or block the garage? We have never had a problem with our former landlady, in fact, she was like family to us and it is so upsetting to be treated like this by her lawyer and the new owners.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name