Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Abusive landlady -- Who's the landlord? Loud parties

Posted by Chet DeBiaso on March 31, 1997 at 22:35:05:

I live in the suburb of North Tonawanda, NY in a small one-room apt of a converted private dwelling. The owner is a woman who lives about an hour away in Akron. Last Sunday she opened the door to my room w/o knocking, complained loudly that the room was a "s____hole", told me she wanted to see me downstairs in 2 minutes. She then told me my rent was late, that I had better have substantial money for Gene at the end of the week, that I had better put a door back on (that I didn't take off) that my cat had better not make any smell or noise (one of the ever-shifting landlords knows about the cat and signed a release form). One of the other tenants regularly has loud parties, there is a coke tray and other drug paraphernelia upstairs, he regularly has violent arguments with his live-in girlfriend and throws her around into walls and down stairs. My new girlfriend is reluctant to visit me because of these jerks. The landlady also claims that I (a) hooked up an electric heater, and (b) ran up the long distance phone bill (It's a shared phone line but the one jerk thinks he owns it)Neither she nor her representative has given me any evidence in the form of bills or official utility statements. Do I have to pay these bills?
Do I even have to pay rent for the use of my room, considering the loathsome circumstances? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name