Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Poll shows voters favor current rent laws:Today's Times

Posted by Dottie on March 05, 1997 at 23:32:01:

In Reply to: Re: Poll shows voters favor current rent laws:Today's Times posted by debralynn on March 05, 1997 at 11:16:08:

: I've come to believe that Bruno doesn't care what the polls show. However, now that this poll shows people supporting a reduction in income level, from 250,00 to 100,000, this still further weakens tenants' ability to maintain their apartments if they reach this income level. They will have to fill out convoluted personal income checks every year. The average family earning this income level still would not be able to afford the market rental that the landlord would charge for larger family apartments. In light of total deregulation in New York City, this is a compromise that the politicians would want to jump on the bandwagon and say that they have saved regulations.
: Comments, please!
It's interesting that when I first posted quotes from the Times article this morning, I was so pleased with the pro-tenant figures that I omitted the following: "The poll did show, however, that 51% of voters supported ending rent protection for people who earn $100,000 a year or more and live in apartments that rent for $2,000 or more a month. " I agree those are figures that the landlords can misuse. Who came up with that lower figure of $100,000 anyway? That's a swift descent from $250,000. It means that a couple where each makes $50,000 which is not that much in NYC would be adversely affected. I look forward to Tenan.net getting the raw figures as promised. I agree totally with his posting that one particular tenant group has not used their funds to reach the media. If there's a pro-tenant publicist out there reading this, do you have any ideas of how we can get more P.R.??

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name