Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

evacuation notice

Posted by Mia on February 10, 1997 at 19:55:26:

My Uncle and roommate have been living in a Soho apartment for over 20 years. It has changed many hands and the new owners who just took over sent them a notice that they will need to evacuate. The notice was apparently in response to a "violation" that the landlord received on the building. Two sets of inspectors came of which My Uncle checked up on. Apparently they were legit. but they did not sign the yellow inspction card downstairs like the Code enforcement woman told me on the phone that they should have done. It is not a surprise that this would happen as it is obvious that the building is in disrepair and leans 15 feet.
*When they receive the official city evacuation notice, they are prepared to leave.

*But, what are their rights?

*The landlord is orally telling them that they will be offered $50,000 relocation or the choice to return (upon renovation). That new rental fee is not determined according to the landlord.

*Is there a formula to figure out the relocation money?

*Does it matter if the request to evacute is from the landlord rather from the City?

*Is there a formula to figure out the rent amount if they decide to return to the renovated building?(There is chance of it collapsing during this process in which case there would be no new building built)

*What kind of documents do they need to receive in order for this to be legal?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name