Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Help me understand my rights!

Posted by Alex on February 07, 1997 at 17:22:10:

I and my family have been renting an apartment (which we like very much) in Riverdale, Bronx, since December 1991. Based on what I hear about rent levels in our neighborhood, I think I am seriously overcharged. In addition, which is a real irritant, my lease has so far been extended on a 1 or 2 year basis (not more) in addition to contiual talk of the landlord rather wanting to sell the apartment. In fact, on the eve of each lease extention, the sales office in our apartment house complex (three buildings) has always reminded me that the landlord would rather sell the apartment (which I doubt since I am a very lucrative and diligent tenant). So, I have to talk the sales office into another extention every time the lease expires. According to the sales office, I am what they refer to as a "market tenant". I have to admit that I am not well educated in tenants' affairs. This raises a couple of questions: 1) What rights do I as a market tenant have compared , say, with rent-controlled or rent-stabilized tenants? 2) Is there a way of more or less accurately finding out what the actial (legally allowed) rent for this specific apartment should be? The point is that if I go with these questions to the sales office, they will take note of my unexpected curiousity and may not extend my lease next time (Who needs a troublemaker?). Also, their policy is NOT to allow tenants to speak directly with the landlord. I would greatly appreciate it if someone advises me on these things because I feel helpless in a way and have to go along with whatever the sales office suggests.. I should add that I am not a US national, I have been here legally since early 1980s and work for a major intergovernmental organization. Thanks a lot in advance.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name