Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: ROOMMATE LEASEHOLDER RELOCATING;ROOMMATE LAWS

Posted by Passion DeLanti on January 07, 1997 at 13:07:56:

In Reply to: Re: ROOMMATE LEASEHOLDER RELOCATING;ROOMMATE LAWS posted by Passion DeLanti on January 07, 1997 at 12:58:37:

: : : I need help! I have been living with my roommate for 7 years and she has
: : : decided to relocate by the end of the month. She is suddenly in search of
: : : her self and is leaving. She has had "control" issues and has never agreed to
: : : put me on the lease. My grandmother recently passed away, and I have inherited
: : : a fourteen year old cousin as a kinship foster son. I need to keep the apartment
: : : as part of the adoption procedures that I will commence in April. The "slumlord"
: : : does not want me to succeed the lease, nor is he willing to let me live out the lease
: : : which is up 10/31/97. Are there any laws that protect me as a roommate, though not
: : : on the lease? I have no where else to go and am not in a financial position to
: : : vacate the premises by the end of this month. Are there any laws that protect me
: : : as a foster parent to my 14 year old cousin? Also, I have been considered by her
: : : whose name is also on the lease as part of the "family". Wouldn't this make me a
: : : "non-traditional" family member entitled to succeed the lease? I am desperate, please
: : : help me. I will be back tomorrow to check the message system. THIS MATTER
: : : IS URGENT!! THANK YOU.

: : I'm assuming you're in NYC. The first thing you may wish to do is consult
: : with a tenant attorney experienced in succession issues. We have the
: : succession "regs" on the web site and there are very clear guidelines
: : as who can be considered a non-traditional family member and the burden
: : would be on you. If you decide to claim this, it would be a defense in
: : a holdover proceeding or you ask for a prior opinion/status from DHCR.

: : Even if the tenant moves out leaving you behind. the owner cannot just
: : lock you out without going through court process, but as long as you
: : can't talk him into letting you take over the lease or take a new
: : lease with a legal increase, you may be stuck. You may buy some time,
: : maybe a few months to let the court do its work. You may also wish
: : to consult with family and children agencies to see if they know any
: : special provisions when minors are involved, but I don't know of any.
: : I believe the Social Service Law (but ask someone who really knows this)
: : will only place a foster child when there is adequate housing, but your
: : argument is in a way, the reverse: you're hoping to keep your existing housing
: : because you have (or hope to have) a foster child. I believe the owner
: : would have to commence a "licensee" proceeding to out you as a roommate.

Thank you for your prompt response. I've been on pins and needles for the last couple
of days. However, I furthered my due dilligence on the matter and found out through the
DCHR that I have a right to succeed the lease due to the lenght of time. I have been given
the option to seek an attorney with succession rights experience, but have been told that I
don't really need one. DCHR told me that they would send me the necessary paper work to proceed
with succession.

DCHR told me this AM that I would need to have my roommate right a notorized letter to the landlord
informing him of her pending relocation requesting that I retain succession rights to the apartment
due to the length of time I have been living with her. The letter should contain the date that I moved
and in and total of years that I have resided with her etc... If he is not agreeable to allowing me to
succeed the lease or at least live it out, then a judge will have to grant me the right to succeed the
lease.

However, after the lease is up, he does not have to renew the lease with me if he does not want to.
As soon as I get the information they agreed to send me, I shall contribute more information for those
in similar situation as me. I advise all roommates to negotiate their names onto the existing lease if
possible. Life takes on very bizarre turns, and you may find yourself in my shoes.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name