Posted by TenantNet on January 04, 1997 at 22:03:49:
In Reply to: Noisy neighbors posted by NormYee on January 04, 1997 at 17:41:46:
: I have a neighbor above me who operates a sewing machine
: throughout all hours of the day and into the night.
: My ceiling has cracked twice in the past year
: and I have plastered it.
: I would like to know what can of legal action I can take
: to remedy the situation.
: Repeated talks to the neighbor have resulted in nothing accomplished
: and I doubt the landlord would do anything.
1. Read our section on noisy neighbors
2. Talk to the neighbor (again)
3. Document the problem (photos of the cracked ceiling and a log of when
the noise occurs)
4. Put the landlord on notice in writing (certified mail) of the problem and
that he's untimately responsible; ask him to talk to the neighbor and whatever
is necessary to stop the noise.
5. Be prepared for the landlord to claim you're causing noise (that's not
6. If you're in NYC, you can take the owner on a HP Action in housing court
or you can withhold rent and use the noise as a defense.
Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup