Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: What to do when agencies fail to remedy problems

Posted by Nina on January 04, 1997 at 17:20:57:

In Reply to: Re: What to do when agencies fail to remedy problems posted by TenantNet on January 04, 1997 at 02:29:08:

You can bring HP Actions in Housing Court or you may seek (among many other potential remedies) to have a 7-A Administrator appointed to run the building. None of this is easy and you should speak with either a lawyer or
experienced housing group.

Thank you for your feedback. Re organizing tenants; over the years the landlord has loaded the building w/young, apathetic transients so organizing seems like it would be difficult at best if not downright fruitless.
Have also been browsing this site for relevant info.

I understand that MetCouncil offers free legal counsel Tues. eves. in the East Village. Is this still available? Any other suggestions re legal advice?

Additionally, I am told that I can file for a rent abatement via DHCR for the period of time w/o gas? Is this true? What form do I need? I have also been told that I can escrow my rent under these circumstances as well.

I should also add that my landlord has failed to return a countersigned lease for over (2) years. I have filed all appropriate complaints as well as Affirmation of Non-Compliance w/DHCR. I recently read in the NYT Sun. Real Estate sec. that failure to return a lease is also grounds for escrow. Is this true and if so, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks much again for your help.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name