Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

SHORT NOTICE, HEFTY, RENT RAISE

Posted by Buff Medb Neretin on December 25, 1996 at 19:04:44:

I have been living in my house for 2.5 years. The first year the landlord came to fix things, and never left. His wife would call late at night to speak with him!!! It would take weeks for him to finally make it out here, AND he rarely finished what he started: at this moment there is still a hole in our driveway and a patch-job on the roof which may or may not get us through the rainy winter. I stopped calling him for anything, and luckily there has been little I actually needed him for. Which isn't to say that there aren't things that could be attended to, but nothing that makes the house uninhabitable. All in all, its a nice place...

My house is large, I have a studio in the basement, its in a desirable part of town, and with the exception of a major basement flood 2 years ago, which the landlord took care of structurally by re-barring, caulking, etc. It has not happened again. The rent is cheap comparatively speaking, and I am well aware that I am getting, as They put it, a sweet deal. The rub with being a tenant is that do feel to some degree under their thumb: They have somthing I want.

I just received notification that they are raising my rent $75 as of the first of the year. "Taxes have gone up" I am Pissed off, but not feeling powerless. Before I call them and object, I want to know, chapter and verse, what my rights are here. Vis a vis a) timing of notice b) how much of their increased taxes can they pawss along to us c) if repairs are made half-(heartedly) but well enough to make do, is this cause for complaint or is it a breach of landlord-tenant agreement. There is nothing in our contract that talks to this. d) how much can trhey raise the rent.

Thanks for your help.

Buff Medb Neretin
Tenant not wanting to be a whimp any longer

\Portland, OR

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name