Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Water Damage - wants us to pay for it !

Posted by Alan McClendon on December 24, 1996 at 06:39:50:

Hi all: We came home about 10pm three years ago, and found the apartment half-soaked, on the kitchen/bath side.
We called the emergency # and a guy comes out. No evidence of source of problem, and whatever it was had stopped.

My wife and I had been gone since early morning, but I stopped by at 6pm to let the dog out. Everything fine then.

They have sent us a bill for $600 every six mths or so for the past three years, asking for payment. We told them we did not do anything, we were not here when it happened, and
we don't see why we should be liable. Note: We have had at least four other water problems, e.g., toilet seal leak (they had to replace bathroom tile), plumbing backup in a washroom drain pipe, long term sink seal leak (had to replace some cabinet work),
and hot water heater slow leak (which we didn't notice till the carpet was saturated near it.)

I know they are trying to pass the buck, but what can I do ? I have told them I didn't feel liable, and they said
"Well, you MUST have left the water running because we couldn't find the leak source". Well, I am no
plumber and I certainly don't have a clue either. But, I pay a lot to rent this apt., I thought the management had to take care of
the problems like this.

Any advice appreciated. Email OK too. :) Alanmac@ix.netcom.com

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name