Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Landlord agreed to break lease-then locked us out.

Posted by Kendall Callahan on December 12, 1996 at 23:17:54:

I'm in Arizona and I lived in this duplex for 4 years.Never late on rent.
My orginal landlord had to sell due to divorce, and the new owner immeditiatly
tried to raise the rent inspite of the lease I had with the last landlord that was still in effect.
I won that battle, then this landlord rented the apartment to three different
individuals that stole me blind, the next tenants pulled a gun on me in my kitchen.
And the next ones were caught storing stolen property in a shed next to my
apartment. Then the people wouldn't turn the music down.
I called the landlady at all hours to tell her to tell them to turn it down.
Finally, I had to start calling the police all the time, and they finally told me
that if they got one more call they would site both of us and let a judge figure it out.
And that it was probably in my best interest to move because the landlady wasn't going
to anything about the problem. So I notified the landlady that we were moving because
of her unwillingness to do anything about the problem of the noise. She agreed and we
moved.Our rent was payed up till December 1st. She changed the locks on November 25th.
Then she said that she was going to charge me for Decembers rent and keep my security
deposit. I informed her that she had 14 days to give me a written explanation of how
she was going to spend that money and refund me the rest or I was going to sue her for
twice the amount. So now she has sent me 52.00 back and the things she charged me for
were funny. So now I'm going to sue her for locking me out of the apartment before she
had legal possesion and she says that I didn't clean the place, well how could I when she
changed the locks. This is far from over, and I don't know if we'll win, but I will not take
this lying down. I hope that this will help someone that is having the same problems. There
is another fact that she didn't do a walk through inspection when she bought the place and
she didn't give me any written notice about one when we moved. Then there is also something
about quiet and reasonable enjoyment while living there. She failed to do that by not doing
something about the noise from next door. I hope that this helps and I'll make sure I let
you know how it turns out. This page has been very helpful to me. I would have never known
how to get a copy of The Arizona Tenant Landlord Act, even though now I know that the landlord
is supposed to supply you with a copy. Thanks for all the help guys!!! And Merry Christmas

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name