Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Heat complaints & landlord harassment

Posted by TenantNet on November 02, 1996 at 23:15:18:

In Reply to: Heat complaints & landlord harassment posted by Harry Mora on November 02, 1996 at 17:37:36:

: I've always had problems with the heat in this apartment. I am disabled & on an extremely fixed income so heaters are a prohibitively expensive option. Last year I was hospitalized for three weeks due to pneumonia. I am resolved not to go through that again. This Nov 1, when the temperature dropped into the high 30's (low 40's), the building's defacto super (the landlord informed me that there is no "official" super)informed myself and another tenent that he had contacted the landlord requesting heat and was told that he (landlord) did'nt want to turn on the boiler. Being that previous complaints always go ignored, I filed a complaint with the NYC heat complaint hotline that evening. The next day on Nov 2, the landlord came threateningly to my door and claimed that this building's thermostat always kept the building at 72 degrees and that if I did'nt like his heating policy and made another complaint, I and the "Fn bitch next door" (an elderly lady who also has made several complaints) could move the F out. He refuses to entertain any arguement that the heating system is inadequate. How do I get this landlord to (A)comply with local (Bronx) heating requirements and (B)cease threatening/harassing me? I would appreciate any and all replies. Thank you.

We have the heat requirements on the web site which are for all of NYC.
Keep calling and complaining. You can file DHCR harassment forms, but
don't expect much other than a conference. Document the temperature.
Start a tenant group and let the owner know that the small cost to
keep tenants warm is less than what he will pay with court cases if
you have to bring a HP action. Call your local Bronx groups --
Northwest Bronx Community & Clergy is one such group -- for help.
Also complain to your local politician(s). Some will be responsive.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name