Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

security deposit return problems

Posted by Patricia Litchford on October 29, 1996 at 12:05:00:

Three months ago my friend and her husband moved out of a Va apartment complex. I was present when they signed the lease and now a few problems have arisen. Thier landlord/property manger has not refunded them the full amount of the security deposit. First let's start with the hassle of a month before they left. He told them that they would have to pay to have the carpet steam cleaned in order to conform to the stipulation in the lease that the apartment be returned in the condition in which it was rented. When they moved in the told them that the managment company cleaned the floors and repainted, he never told them anything about another tenant taking care of these details. I cleaned that carpet myself w/ my cleaner to try to appease him but he didn't find that solution satisfactory. When they moved in there were no curtain rods, both the kitchen and the bathroom sink leaked, the bathroom ceiling plaster was falling in due to a leak above(which wasn't noted until after they took residence), there was a small hole in the bathroom wall, and several small stains on the carpet that the landlord himself pointed out. My friend filled out an initial damage report that stated there were no curtain rods and all the other little problems. They moved in a week later and these probs had not been fixed. Now they're being charged for the non-existent curtain rods, and for a professional steam cleaning of he carpet. It also took the maintenace team 12 trys to fix that ceiling. She already told him to deduct a fee willingly to have someone else he knows clean the apartment. My question is: What can they do to get their deposit back and to keep this man from pulling this again? It is my theory that he's trying to play both sides against the middle so that he comes out ahead of both the tenants and the mangement firm. They lived there for 18 months. Sorry to be so long winded, but it was a long story, wasn't it?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name