Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Non 30-day notice move penalties

Posted by Paula Downey on September 26, 1996 at 23:15:23:

My mother (age 73) lives in Anaheim, CA in an apartment complex called The Redwoods.
She was given notice that the building had been sold and that renovations were to
begin soon. She was then (later) notified that she either had to move to another
apartment in the complex (at a significantly raised rent!) or move to another apartment
complex of her choosing. She was unsure of what to do but did at last decide on moving
elsewhere, since this place is a DUMP! for $650 a month!!! Now, the landlord says that
since she has chosen to move elsewhere instead of within the current complex, she MUST
pay $25 per day for each day of the 30-day notice she did not give. (She told them about
two weeks in advance of the date THEY said she HAD to move that she chose to live elsewhere.)
Can they do this considering THEY are forcing HER out due to no fault of hers? She is elderly,
and not well. This is all terribly traumatic for her. Seems they shouldn't be able to do
this. At any rate, she does not have the $4450 - $500 they are trying to milk her for.
Does she have any recourse? Please help me. I desperately want to help her.

Thanks,

P.L. Downey
Please feel free to E-Mail me: md60643@ltec.net

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name