Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

NYC Apartment Repainting Laws

Posted by Paul P. Soucek on June 26, 1996 at 19:08:38:

Saturday, June 22, 1996

To Anyone With Advice:

I have lived in a "rent-stabilized" on the Upper West Side apartment for 5+ years.

According to law, the apartment is to be repainted every three years.

I waived that right at Year Three in negotiation for getting some other work done, and it never got done...

Now -- approaching Year Six -- I renegotiated with the landlord to have the "other work" and the six-year repainting done...

A problem: the building was sold and the new owner is disregarding any of the arrangements I'd made with the previous owner.

I know, I know: always get it in writing. But -- like so many landlord/tenant/super/whomever agreements -- these things aren't always in writing...

I won't elaborate on the major run-around I'm getting from the new ownership of the building, but suffice it to say they're allotting very little money to reimburse me for the cost of the paint-job.

Are there any rules that ascertain what a landlord must pay (per room? per foot?) to have an apartment repainted?

Through what avenue can a tenant object if they feel they're being shortchanged?

Any insight would be really helpful.

Regards,

Paul P. Soucek

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name