Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: early termination of lease

Posted by Cranky Tenant on February 28, 2002 at 01:36:41:

In Reply to: early termination of lease posted by Keith on February 26, 2002 at 17:25:16:

Rent Stabilized tenants are only required to pay one month's security and, if you vacated your apartment when the lease ended, the landlord would have to pay for painting and advertising.That's his cost of doing business, Of course, when's the last time anyone saw a landlord advertise a rent stabilized apartment? These are usualy handled by brokers who don't charge landlords anything for renting apartments.

You might want to check with DHCR to find out what the maximum legal rent really is. If the landlord overcharged you for security, he may have overcharged you for rent too.

: Rent Stabilized apartment- My lease runs through 8/31/02 and I would like to terminate as of 4/30/02. If I terminate early I have been told I will need to pay the advertising fees & painting costs. The landlord is holding 3 months security deposit (I am hearing that this might not be legal). I don't want to leave the apartment with the landlord owing me $5,550. I am giving 60 days notice. Can I apply two months of my security deposit to my last two months of rent?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name