Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: L.L. Defaulted on Lease; Won't Return Security Deposit how much was your rent?

Posted by zyco on February 26, 2002 at 15:38:04:

In Reply to: L.L. Defaulted on Lease; Won't Return Security Deposit posted by Anonymous on February 26, 2002 at 14:33:27:

.....how much was your rent?

- - - - - - - -

: Hello, and much thanks in advance to anyone who responds...

: I recently moved out of a rent-stabilized NYC apartment because my landlord repeatedly entered my apartment without giving me reasonable notice, as stated in our lease agreement.
: During my time in this apartment, I was a model tenant--always paid rent on time, quiet, no complaints from fellow tenants or the on-site super. In fact, in our last conversation, when I said I would not be renewing the lease, my landlord expressed regret that he was "losing such an excellent tenant."
: However, on at least four occasions since that conversation, my landlord entered the apartment (to show prosepective tenants, to have maintenance work done) without mentioning anything to me beforehand. I spoke to him about my concerns about having strangers in my apartment without my knowledge but to no avail. The unexpected visits kept occuring. I even wrote a formal letter of complaint, requesting that it be placed in my file.

: One specific time, the landlord brought a prospective tenant to see the apartment while I was home--again without any advance notice. He knocked loudly but I was on the phone and didn't answer immediately, as I wasn't expecting guests. Thinking I wasn't at home, the landlord started unlocking my door with his own master key. Not only do I consider that an invasion of my privacy, but I feel he (my landlord) defaulted on the lease, specifically, the section that states 'reasonable notice before entry.'

: So, I moved out before the lease was up. In a final letter to my landlord, I detailed that I was leaving because I felt he invaded my privacy and defaulted on the lease first, and I should have my security deposit returned to me. Am I right, and if so, what steps of recourse should I take? Please advise. And, thanks!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name