Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

or maybe....

Posted by Angela on February 22, 2002 at 13:29:06:

In Reply to: Are you on the lease?... posted by MikeW on February 22, 2002 at 13:10:22:

what would be cool - is that there could be a tiny possibility that I could get him evicted and the management company would put me on the lease instead. I have a real job - and he doesn't...so i would be a more ideal candidate. Plus the guy is a pervert and constantly has strangers that he regularly takes home to have loud annoying sex with. Do I have any rights when it comes to strangers entering my home? How long would the eviction process take?

: Or did he doctor a copy just to show you, in order to justify what he was asking for rent? Do you have the doctored version?

: In any case, given the housing situation in NYC, I think you need to deal with this from a logical standpoint. Is the rent you're paying in line with the space your getting? Could you go out and find a better, or even equivalent deal? If you can't, deal with your roomate and stay put.

: : I spoke to a lawyer about it - and the main issue is that it is now a new law and the bigger picture here is that he forged a legal document. I know to some people it seems petty - but I trusted this person - and he went out of his way to lie cheat and steal from me. This new law can protect others from this happening again and becoming "acceptable".

: : : I answered an earlier post about roommate rent distribution. This is pretty applicable to you.

: : : Also, unless you have anything in writing about how the rent would be shared, you're probably out of luck in getting any money back from the prime tenant. FWIW I know people who take in roommates, and charge the roommate enough to pay the whole rent, so your paying $100 more then your roommate is not particularly egregious.

: : : : My roommate told me that I would be paying 50% of the rent . I agreed to 50% as long as a got a copy of the lease. I paid 1st, last and a security dep. Then 3 months later I found a letter from our landlord - an invoice for upcoming rent which was $200 CHEAPER than what the shady roommate had told me. I went to the management office - and they gave me copies of the ACTUAL lease - and it turns out he doctored all the numbers thinking he could rip me off an extra $100 a month and have me pay $200 MORE in rent even though he has the bigger space.

: : : : Granted - its his name on the lease. But what he did is fraudulent and illegal. What sort of action should I proceed with? I've already confronted him and he feels justified with what he did saying that "everyone does it". I think its wrong - and he even told me if I move out he'll profit even more from the next person. How do I stop this crook?

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name