Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: hot water and noisy pipes

Posted by Archibald Spignaldi on February 17, 2002 at 07:04:05:

In Reply to: hot water and noisy pipes posted by Jacob on February 16, 2002 at 09:36:55:

Two different issues. For the pipes, get some wood and place it under the radiator so it is raised by an inch or two. You may need some help depending on the configuration of the pipes. The reason is that as the steam in the radiator condenses into hot water, it needs to flow back out of the radiator and back down the pipes. When steam systems are installed, they are designed for gravity to do the work, but as buildings age and floors settle, the radiators may drop down little by little so the incline is no longer there.

Hot water is a different issue -- probably some problem with the boiler, but hot water is critical. It's the landlord's responsibility to keep it working. Give him reasonable time, but at a certain point, call HPD central complaints, form a tenant association and do whatever is needed.

: I have been living in the same Washington Heights apartment for the past three years. Recently the heating pipes have been banging and rattling when activated and the hot water has been going out once every other week. I have called the super and Management Company about the problem. They tried to fix it, but the problem still exists and they seem to be doing nothing. My calls and questions go unanswered.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name