Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: about security

Posted by me again on February 13, 2002 at 11:44:02:

In Reply to: about security posted by dee on February 12, 2002 at 09:34:34:

: I moved out of the place and the lanlord will not give me all my security back
: he said i damged the living room carpet, it is all wet and he had to get new rug, he is charging me for holes in the walls from my pictures and also for screen missing from porch that I took down and put wood board up also for all the lightbulbs I took them all, and the refrigarater broken door selves .there is more things also can he do this?also for broken windows

well, what do you think the security deposit was for anyway?
most of the items you describe are deductible from your deposit, with some limitations. step by step....
damaging the carpet, being wet: was the reason it was wet because of you, or because of some defect in the house? if it was from a leaking ceiling that you notified the landlord about, then he probably can't make you pay for it, but, if it was because maybe you overwatered your plants all the time, and then the carpet got moldy, then it is your problem, to the extent that the landlord must pro-rate the charge to you against the life of the carpet, and how many years *should* have been left in it.
as far as holes in the walls, that is strictly on you, you should have spackled and painted before you left.
a missing screen from a porch, also on you, what did you do with it, throw it out?
missing lightbulbs: were there lightbulbs in the fixtures when you moved in? if so, they should be there when you left, you *stole* them from the landlord. there may be some argument as to pro-rating the life of the bulbs, as they do have a finite life, but the amount is probably not worth fighting about.
broken windows: were these inside windows or outside windows? were they broken as a result of a break-in? did you actually break them?
in most cases, YOU will be responsible to have them replaced.
broken refrigerator door shelves: again, also on you.
the *rule* is 'normal' wear and tear, like previous poster advised, a wear pattern in a carpet near a doorway is 'normal wear', holes in the carpet are not. *some* 'dirt' on the walls is probably also considered normal wear and tear, but holes are not. items missing from the unit which were there when you moved in should also be there when you leave, it is NOT YOUR property to do with as you please, you are only renting it, and should return it in the same condition it was in when you moved in, excepting normal wear and tear.
sorry there is no good news for you here, but you screwed up.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name