Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: When filing an overcharge complaint...................

Posted by Gregg on February 10, 2002 at 09:14:02:

In Reply to: When filing an overcharge complaint................... posted by judy on February 08, 2002 at 10:26:05:

: Which would be the best way to do it? Should we hire a lawyer (which would probably mean $$$$! )or should we just file a complaint w/DHCR?

: If a lawyer represents us, will the process be quicker than filing w/DHCR (what's that approx. 4yrs) ?

: Any comments would be much appreciated...............

: Thanks

Regarding your filing of a rent-overcharge complaint; The DHCR used to have a significant backlog of cases, which caused a delay for as much as a couple of years before they even got to your case. Recently, however, a tenant in my building filed one, and they got back a response to proceed in only a matter of a couple of months.

And remember, the filing is for the time that you spent in the apartment. If you should have to move before you get a response from DHCR, simply write to them with the docket # (which they send you very quickly, when they receive your complaint) and give them your forwarding address. If you are successful, the LL will have to send you a check, eventually, for the amount of the overcharge determination, plus interest. Possibly treble-damages, if it is ruled a "willful overcharge." Good luck, and keep us informed as to your progress!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:


TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name