Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Anyone know rents in West Harlem?

Posted by edward appiah on February 08, 2002 at 21:20:09:

In Reply to: Anyone know rents in West Harlem? posted by yippee1999 on February 07, 2002 at 11:58:00:

It seems a little high to me but you do have great subway access. If u feel comfortable with it I say go for it.:
: I searched in the Yellow Pages and the web, but can't seem to find many realtors who deal with the West Harlem area. I'm wondering what the going rate is, and if I'm paying too much for my current apt., which I secured a year ago via the web. I live in a large studio (about 475 s.f) in West Harlem, around 148th Street, on a relatively nice quiet street. My building is a plain row house (not one of the nicer brownstones commonly found in the area). There are two units in the building, and the second unit is still being worked on by the landlord, so it is vacant. There is no property manager or maintenance person for the building. The LL, who lives in another borough, handles any problems as they arise. The kitchen and bath are new, and I have private access to a yard (basically a cement square with 6-foot cement walls). A few details of the interior aren't perfect, like the walls have evidence of spackling/patches that were never painted over, there are some cracks/gaps between the doorframe and the floor, two tiles are missing from the kitchen wall behind the sink... that kind of thing. But it's not too bad really. I pay $1200/month which includes the electric utilities (and electric stove). I live 3 blocks from the subway. Regardless of the fact that rents have supposedly dropped since 9/11, do you think I've been paying too much all along, as my boyfriend seems to think?

: Thank you!

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name