Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Satelite dish

Posted by me again on February 06, 2002 at 23:54:51:

In Reply to: Satelite dish posted by new_tenant on February 05, 2002 at 14:50:23:

: Hi
: I have put up a satelite dish a couple of months back on the patio of my Apt. The Apt manager now says I cannot attach a Dish on my patio and have instructed to remove it.
: I understand that per an FCC Regulation, She cannot put restriction on satelite dish but she still insist that I am in violation of lease since I nailed it to the patio.

you are both correct. the fcc regulation says that the landlord can not deny you access to satellite service. he DOES NOT have to permit you to attach it to HIS house. if you check your lease, it probably prohibits you from making any permanent attachments to the property without the landlord's permission. if you do, they will probably become his property, and you would have to pay to repair any damage that occurred as a result of attaching it (i.e., repairing any holes, leaks, etc.). the usual idea is that most tenants want to have it installed in the optimum place, most often the roof, and that is the worst place, structure-wise, to make holes in. it will usually cause a fair amount of damage, maybe not immediately, but 3 or 4 years down the road when it starts leaking and causing real damage.
the fact that the dish was there for 6 months should have no bearing on your lease infraction.
i think consig had the best idea i've heard for this, stick a pole in a bucket of concrete, and attach it to that. just be very careful of any holes you have to make in the structure of the house for the cable to be brought through, you can still have leakage problems, and also a way for 'critters' to get in.
make nice with the landlord, you're in the wrong.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name