Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Withholding Rent and Ability of Landlords to Ruin Credit Rating

Posted by Adam on February 04, 2002 at 19:17:28:

In Reply to: Re: Withholding Rent and Ability of Landlords to Ruin Credit Rating posted by Lilly on February 04, 2002 at 18:20:56:

Lilly,
Thanks for responding. Two points that shed further light on my options. First, my landlord refuses to agree that we should pay even a dime less because of our prior lack of hot water. Second, the DHCR is not an option for us because as I mentioned in a postscript to my original posting, our apartment is neither rent regulated nor rent stabilized.
By the way, we do have a New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development official record that confirms that we did not have hot water.
I'd still like to know what specifically a landlord can do to a renter's credit rating. Can a landlord even do anything without a court judgement against me?

: Pay first, haggle later. I know is a major pain not to have hot water, but it's not worth the risk that your credit rating might suffer. Try to get LL to agree how much he will give you off the next months rent. Pay the back rent. You can take him to court or file for a rent abatement with DHCR(takes forever and DHCR is VERY pro LL).

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name