Google Search

TenantNet Forum Archives 1996-2002
Posting and Replies are disabled in all Archives
TenantNet Forum | TenantNet Forum Archives Index

Re: Landlord sold building and.....

Posted by me again on February 04, 2002 at 14:28:13:

In Reply to: Landlord sold building and..... posted by Conqueror on February 04, 2002 at 13:58:25:

: This is my situation. I live in a building that is not rent stabilized but my rent is only $600 per month in an area of Brooklyn that is very popular. My lease was only month to month. I don't know when the building was built and there are 4 apartment in the building. My landlord had a grandson living with her. When the landlord left, she left us with no info as to who our new landlord was. So we sat for a week not knowing who our new landlord was. There representative came passed the building when I was not home and gave out some information. Now, the landlord's nephew still has a key to our apt building. He is in and out at all times of the night.(Only God knows who else has a key to our building!) We (the tenants) have called continually to the landlord to tell him that we need our locks changed but to no avail. We would also like to know his plans for the building.(especially me because I am almost 9 months pregnant!) What are my rights?

do you know 'officially' who the new landlord is yet? maybe, it is the original landlord's nephew after all, and he has all the rights in the world to have a key. maybe he isn't the new landlord, and then him having a key and coming and going all the time is cleaning up his grandmothers' belongings, which is also legitamate.
until you know a little more detail, i'd probably add an inside slide-chain, or maybe a twist deadbolt for when you are home, to make you feel safer.
as far as the landlord's plans for the building, that is up to the landlord, and he DOESN'T have to tell you anything. until you get 'official' notifications from him, there is nothing you can do about his plans anyway. as a general rule, assuming you do have a cheap rent in a good area on a m-t-m basis, i would certainly expect to get a rent hike as soon as the landlord has his plan together, landlord's don't buy buildings to lose money on them.

Follow Ups:

Note: Posting is disabled in all archives
Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

TenantNet Home | TenantNet Forum | New York Tenant Information | Contact Us
DHCR Information | DHCR Decisions | Housing Court Decisions | New York Rent Laws |

Subscribe to our Mailing List!
Your Email      Full Name